Friday, April 07, 2006

 

English democracy is charming

“There have been various instances in the past of persons who were not Members being counted in a Division. For instance, on 27 February 1771:

The Speaker had no sooner declared that the Noes had it (Noes 165; Yeas 155), than it was discovered that a Stranger had come in and been told as one of the Noes. He was brought up to the Table by Mr Byng and Mr Buller. Questioned by the Speaker, he said, `My name is Thomas Hunt. I live in Dartmouth Street I follow no business, but live on my fortune. I heard somebody in the Lobby say, the doors were open, and that anybody might go in. I was going up to the gallery, with other gentlemen of my acquaintance ... I came into the lobby a little before the gentlemen were coming out ... I have been used to come into this House and gallery. I have been told in divisions
before this'.

After a long debate the question was again put and the House divided. Yeas 153: Noes 164. Mr Hunt was discharged after a warning from the Speaker.

The idea of clearing the lobbies derives from this sort of incident: security is now such that an intrusion of this kind would be virtually impossible.”

English democracy is charming.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?